McHENRY COUNTY, ILLINOIS
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Director of Finance, McHenry County, Illinois (pop. 309,000). Located in northeastern Illinois within a short drive from Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee, McHenry County is offering an exciting opportunity in one of Illinois’ premier places to live and work. McHenry County is recognized for its scenic beauty and outstanding recreational opportunities. The County seat, located in Woodstock, provides excellent cultural, recreational and educational amenities.
The Director of Finance is a key part of the County’s management team in a financially stable organization, and reports to the County Administrator. The County maintains a Aaa bond rating from Moody’s Investor Services, and has earned the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for several consecutive years.
The County is seeking a technically skilled and collaborative Director of Finance to lead the County’s Finance Department and a variety of financial activities. The County’s Finance Department, within the County Administrator’s Office, includes six employees and is responsible for accounting, financial reporting, budget development, payroll and accounts payable. The County Administration develops and manages an overall County budget of approximately $220 million.
The County is seeking an ethical and experienced professional with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate must have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a record of leadership, problem solving and decisiveness;
- Possess a passion for public service; and
- Have a desire to work collaboratively with members of the finance team and with other departments on the delivery of County services.
Candidates should also have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, business administration or related field; a Master’s degree and/or CPA is ideal, but not required;
- Seven to ten years of experience in a government setting or demonstrable skills in governmental fund accounting;
- Working knowledge of financial management/ERP systems; and
- Supervisory experience.
The starting salary range is $120,000 – $130,000 +/- DOQ. A competitive benefit package is offered which includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund.
Candidates should apply by September 23, 2019 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. McHenry County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.