The Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) seeks a proven leader, expert in governmental finance (with demonstrated specialized knowledge in governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting), and advocate for state and local governments to fill its position as Director, Technical Services Center. The Director position is a key component of GFOA’s Leadership Team and is involved in setting policy, developing GFOA products and services, and working to achieve the organization’s mission and goals.
Summary Position Description:
- Lead staff of 20+ in GFOA’s Technical Services Center
- Provide guidance and leadership to state and local governments across the United States and Canada
- Help define best practices and develop advisories to guide policy and practices in governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting by staffing the GFOA Committee on Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting
- Contribute to GFOA training and publications, including Government Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting (the “Blue Book”), the GAAFR Review newsletter, the “GFOA Annual Governmental GAAP Update” live-streaming event, and “The Accounting and Auditing Year in Review” session at the GFOA Annual Conference
- Oversee GFOA products and services related to accounting, auditing, and financial reporting, including training, the annual conference program, publications, newsletters, web resources, award programs, and other content
- Advocate for state and local government by monitoring the GASB’s technical activities and keeping members and other interested parties informed of current and pending developments
- Help improve governments and the communities they serve by serving GFOA members and working to create more sustainable, resilient, and well-managed governments
Founded in 1906, GFOA’s mission is to promote excellence in state and local government financial management. Currently, the organization has more than 19,100 members representing over 8,200 government organizations including cities, counties, school districts and other special districts, retirement systems, states and state agencies, and the federal government. Members look to GFOA as a leader in providing guidance on best practices, technical resources, publications, and professional development and networking opportunities, and as an advocate within the public finance profession.
GFOA employs 55 employees in its Chicago, Illinois office, and three employees in its Washington, D.C. office. GFOA’s leadership team comprises the executive director/CEO and five center directors who oversee all services, programs, and operations. The Technical Services Center is GFOA’s largest department with approximately 20 FTEs. It provides technical information, products, and services to GFOA members and others interested in government finance regarding accounting, auditing, and financial reporting. At the heart of the center’s activities are five professional recognition award programs. Candidates for the Director of Technical Services Center must be leaders and experts in government accounting and finance, possess excellent oral and written skills and a collaborative, engaged management style. Compensation is highly competitive. Interested candidates should apply at once to Heidi Voorhees, President, GovHRUSA at http://www.govhrusa.com/current-positions/recruitment. The first resume review will occur on August 20, 2017. Inquiries about the position may be made to [email protected].