Unalaska, Alaska (pop. 4,768) Unique, beautiful and dynamic Unalaska is seeking a visionary and collaborative leader to become its next Finance Director. Situated in the Aleutian Chain 800 miles southwest of Anchorage, Unalaska is the 12th largest city in Alaska, and the largest in the Aleutians, and is home to the International Port of Dutch Harbor. The Port consistently ranks first or second in the nation for the size and value of its seafood catch. Unalaska is home to 4,768 creative, friendly, industrious people who enjoy excellent schools, low crime and no unemployment.
The City of Unalaska is a well-financed and professionally managed organization, staffed by talented, hardworking and successful people. It is governed under the Council-Manager form, with an elected Mayor and City Council and an appointed professional City Manager. The Finance Director reports to the City Manager and is responsible for leading and managing the City’s 12-member Department of Finance. Department functions include accounting, treasury, budget, payroll, utility billing, Ports and Harbors billing, purchasing, and information systems. The total budget of the City, including proprietary funds, is approximately $78 million.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field. A graduate degree in finance, business or public administration may be substituted for an equivalent number of years of experience.
· Ten years of progressively responsible experience in financial management, including five years in a supervisory capacity. Municipal financial management experience strongly preferred.
· Alaska CPA license (or the ability to obtain) preferred.
· Strong analytical, leadership, interpersonal, communication, team-building and presentation skills essential.
· Experience with fixed asset accounting, grant administration, process improvement, utility management and collective bargaining desirable.
Salary range $89,068 to $142,508; starting salary DOQ/E. Attractive benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, audio) at no cost to employees and dependents, and participation in the Alaska Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS). Alaska does not have a state income tax.
Apply online with resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Stephen Veitch, Vice President, GovHRUSA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. Upon submission applicants will be asked to complete a City of Unalaska Employment Application. Review of resumes begins April 18, 2019.